Thursday 12 January 2012

SOI- ISSUU NOT WORKING


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
06
 Module Code 
OUGD303                        
Outcomes
1
 Module Title
FINAL MAJOR PROJECT




FINAL MAJOR PROJECT
STATEMENT OF INTENT
Name: Stephanie Oglesby

Blog Address: http://s-oglesby0912fmp.blogspot.com/


Rationale

‘A conceptually driven practice investigating mainly into fashion brands but also looking at branding for luxury food and drink, with a focus on print promotional material such as packaging, POS and publication.’

Although my practice is designed mainly for print I will make proposals for web and digital media to show how brand can continue through all media. I would like to undertake a project that shows the more cultured side of fashion such as a branding etc for a fashion show, this would fit nicely with my rationale but also give me a stylish and professional piece for my portfolio.

I want a portfolio that shows a passion in the retail industry in particular fashion and food branding, the way in which I go about addressing each brief will be different and therefore show a range of skills and approaches to work. The approaches chosen will be derived from the brief and will be the most successful ways of solving briefs. I will explore a range of different styles of brand personalities for different target audiences showing my ability to produce work for different labels, I don’t want to be seen as a one trick pony.

I want to explore concepts for brands and create a story for the consumer to buy into, this will be done in experimental, individual ways.


Subjects / Themes

GENERAL THEMES:
Brand Personalities/ Concepts









SPECIFIC SUBJECTS:
Trend Brands Vs Luxury/ Label Brands
Boutique Vs High St
Store Experience
Consumer Interaction
Emerging talents of culture industry
-Fashion Designers
-Art
-Music
Luxury Food Brands, Conceptual food brands

Design Disciplines / Creative Development

I really enjoy branding and continuing the brands personality through numerous media and promotional material, this will be a large part of my FMP module exploring this further in retail brands especially fashion and food sectors. Experiment with packaging, looking into making it more interactive and concept driven, this is something I touched on in the last module but ran out of time to explore it thoroughly. Last module I really enjoyed making my own typeface to create an identity for a fashion brand and this is something I liked to continue into my FMP. I realized that image really isn’t a skill of mine so I’d like to focus type and patterns instead to create visuals with, I want to be more experimental with applying type to existing images or photography taken myself. I had produced my first publication in OUGD301 for a fashion look-­­­book although I found it quite challenging I found that it looked professional and I felt that I had learnt a lot from stepping out of my comfort zone.


Practical Skills / Workshops – what, why and when?

I really enjoy branding and continuing the brands personality through numerous media and promotional material, this will be a large part of my FMP module exploring this further in retail brands especially fashion and food sectors. Experiment with packaging, looking into making it more interactive and concept driven, this is something I touched on in the last module but ran out of time to explore it thoroughly. Last module I really enjoyed making my own typeface to create an identity for a fashion brand and this is something I liked to continue into my FMP. I realized that image really isn’t a skill of mine so I’d like to focus type and patterns instead to create visuals with, I want to be more experimental with applying type to existing images or photography taken myself. I had produced my first publication in OUGD301 for a fashion look-­­­book although I found it quite challenging I found that it looked professional and I felt that I had learnt a lot from stepping out of my comfort zone.

I would like to use more print workshops to experiment with print methods and finishes to achieve a professionalism to my work, I want to step up the overall appearance of the work I’m producing especially when undertaking briefs for luxury products and high end labels they need to communicate the idea of quality and superiority.













Brief 1: Waven

Deadline
3 Weeks
Rationale:
To brand a new denim company, highly conceptual based on Scandinavian Design and idea of Waven with a Swedish ‘O’, logo, labels, packaging, denim range, lookbook, store touchpoints.

Brief 2: Design Bridge– Branding and Packaging Whisky
 (D&AD Comp Brief 9/3/12)

Deadline
9/3/12
Rationale:
Explore luxury products and packaging and the food industry, building a story and concept for the product and explore how the idea of luxury can be created through special printing techniques and stock quality.
Brief 3: 4 small branding projects for Fashion Students
              (Live)
Deadline
Ongoing Each project 2days quick turnover
Rationale:
Create a range of Identities for emerging fashion designers, showing a diversity between each brand to show

Brief 4: Branding for Exhibition/ Event (Collab)

Deadline
2 Week
Rationale:
Collaboration with Jonathon Finch. Experiment with the concept of a brand, how it can be promoted in an individual, exciting way, not the norm- innovative

Brief 5: Swarovski YCN

Deadline
30/3/12
Rationale:
Fulll marketing to reach new younger audience Inc. POS, Packaging, Ads, Campaign.
Work with existing brand
(YCN Comp Brief)

Contextual references / Designers / Studios / Companies (specific)

One Trick Pony
Pentagram
Vast Agnecy
Elmwoood
The One Off
Planarama












RESEARCH ACTIVITY
LOVE CREATIVE- Manchester
Deadline
Feb Reading week
Details
One week placement,

RESEARCH ACTIVITY:
Creative Retail Store teams
Deadline

Details
Urban Outfitters, Topshop

RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Visual Merchandiser Leeds
Deadline

Details
Work with a visual merchandiser for a couple of days, ask questions


RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Elmwood
Deadline

Details
Show portfolio and hopefully get a week placement.


RESEARCH ACTIVITY
Deadline

Details






BIBLIOGRAPHY

BOOKS / TEXTS  - (Harvard Refernced)

No Logo- Naomi Klein,
Brandscaping,
Retail Graphics,
Retail Therapy,
Conumer Pyschology,
Why We Buy- The Science of Shopping


MAGAZINES / JOURNALS / ARTICLES – (include publication date and details)








ON LINE REFERENCES  / WEBSITES / ARTICLES (include specific urls)



OTHER REFERENCE MATERIAL (Films, events, exhibitions, conferences)

Local exhibitions for emerging talents, these could include retail stores, pop-up shops, restaurants and bars ie/ Urban Outfitters, Nation of Shopkeepers, Paper Scissors Stone.

Fashion Events, store openings, catwalk shows.





Action Plan – use this section to identify specific tasks that you need to complete in order to resolve the brief.
Brief
What do you need to do?
Deadline

1






2



3



4



5



6



7



8



9







10






No comments:

Post a Comment